We all have those days where you just feel like crap, for no real reason.
Nothing is going right, you haven't got anything done, you've barely made it out of your pyjamas by 2pm and you're just ready to go back to bed & pretend this day never happened. Sound familiar?
Yesterday was one of those days. And I pretty much felt exactly that. Yes, I'm had a pity party for one. Nothing was specifically wrong, but I'll hope by sharing a list of things I should've done yesterday, that I'll feel slightly better the next time it happens - because, lets face it, we've all been there. Maybe you're having a shitty day right now. Well, you're not alone amigo.
So here are five things I wish I'd kept in mind...
Note to self :
1. Do not, I repeat, do not browse Pinterest. All those perfect people with their 'perfect' pinterest lives & their 'choose happiness' quotes are not what you want to see right now, no matter how obsessed with pinning you are. Avoid at all costs.
2. Give it up as a bad job. If you're forcing yourself to work on something that has a remotely flexible deadline - just stop. Save it for another day. Chances are you're just staring into space and/or making it worse. The best thing you can do is give yourself a break. Maybe a day long break, but it will be worth it when you can complete something you're happy with.
3. Netflix always helps. As does hot chocolate, a warm bath and mini pamper session. Paint your nails, that have needed doing for longer than you care to admit, or even tackle a pedicure, if you're feeling particularly adventurous. Just give yourself a bit of time out without feeling guilty, chances are you probably need it.
4. Eat what you want. If you want a salad - great. If you want to stick your head in a bag of Maltesers - get on it. If you want to spend £30 on pizza and eat it in bed - go ahead. It's not going to kill you to treat yourself, whether that's with healthy, nutritious food or a cheese filled, greasy takeaway. Eat it, enjoy it, get over it.
5. Showered? tick. Brushed hair? tick. Completing a very basic task list will make you feel like you've actually achieved something with your day, if you're that way inclined (I know I am). Sometimes getting out of bed can be one of the hardest tasks you have to do that day - and that's completely fine.
Basically, it's okay not to be okay. Even when everything may outwardly seem fine & people may think you're whinging for no reason - you have every right to feel crappy and take as many days as necessary to get through it & over it. Because it will happen.
But right now, I'm going to get my blanket on the sofa, veg out to some American Horror Story and accept that today is just not my day. And that's fine with me...