It's so easy as a blogger to get sucked into the hype & excitement of the 'next big thing'
They're placed into the hands of all the right people, (who the majority of us follow, hence why they get the product in the first place), and before you know it, you can't scroll through a page of Instagram photos without seeing it repeated on six different white backgrounds, claiming how fantastic it may or may not be (normally the former).
You can't blame the blogger or the brand; they're doing it right, they're doing their jobs and they're creating a lot of fuss. Everybody wants to get their paws on it and that's obviously the aim of the game, right?
But not everyone can afford to splash out on the latest fad. It may very well be 'life changing' (it probably isn't, but thats a whole other story for another day) and you may want to give your right arm to have it, but sometimes that budget just wont stretch. AND THAT'S COMPLETELY FINE.
I very rarely post anything remotely new or hyped up on this blog anymore. This year has been a tight one and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I think I've mentioned a few times that I've been using up everything I've got before buying something new, or how I've swapped luxe products for cheaper (and just as good) alternatives.
And I'll be honest, I don't think it has hindered my blog at all. In fact, I may go as far as saying it has improved my posts as they're always going to be individual and slightly different to whatever the current trend is and that's something you should embrace.
So here are a couple of tips for blogging on a budget...
1. Revisit your stash : If you're a beauty lover, you probably have tonnes of items you've neglected for the latest release - we're all guilty. Have a route through, maybe post about your 'rediscovered favourites' and have a trip down memory lane, or try out a new make-up look with things you once loved but have since overlooked. The options are endless!
2. Blog sales : You know what they say, one mans trash is another mans treasure; blog sales are really great places to look if you have a specific item in mind that you really want to try. Normally, things tend to be around half the original price and although it isn't a shiny, brand new product - it's still what you were after at a discounted price. win, win!
3. Look around : I like to think inspiration is everywhere. Take your camera with you wherever you go & you'll more than likely to find something to blog about. Be it, a cosy night in; some of the beautiful sights you see on your way to work, or even a pug party... It's all free of charge and will make your content more individual & personal to you (which in turn, makes me want to read it).
4. Dupes : There's a dupe for everything nowadays. Everyone is copying each other and as I'm sure that's frustrating for some brands, it's really great for those of us that want to try something new but don't want to pay the high-end price tag. For example, L'Oreal Eau de Teint is almost an exact dupe for Giorgio Armani Maestro - L'Oreal own Giorgio Armani and therefore there are a lot of similarities in their lines (and many other high end brands owned by L'Oreal); the cheaper version brought out only a few months after.
5. Don't give in to the hype : Be patient. Wait until the hype around a product has gone (a month, minimum). This is the time when, if a product is truly good, it will pop up in favourites posts or be used in tutorials, rather than just a one-off post. A lot of bloggers are very honest and selective with what they review, but then again, they didn't have to pay for it. And I always feel like there's a quite a big difference between, what is essentially, a free product and paying for it with your own money.
Overall, I think there's a lot to be said for blogging on a budget. I'm not criticising anyone who doesn't, I just think that having the latest 'new-in' product isn't the be all and end all. If that's what you're looking for, you may not find it here, but I know what I do share is well loved and I think that counts for a lot.
What do you think?
What are your tips for blogging on a budget?
If you're after a beautifully written, personal blog - check out Amelia Writes!