"Commit to loving yourself completely. It's the most radical thing you will do in your lifetime."
- Andrea Gibson
In a day & age where nothing is ever good enough; fast enough; advanced enough or perfect enough, it's extremely hard to accept and acknowledge that who you are - inside & out - right now, is the best version of yourself that you can be. And that that person is amazing, worthy of love, care and respect.
Like almost everyone on the planet; I've experienced some kind of self-hate. Be it the way I looked, the way I acted, the person I thought I was - I've spent years criticising myself due to this imaginary idea of perfection. An idea implanted and passed down by the media, photoshop and general peer pressure.
At 25, I can finally say enough is enough. Life is entirely too short to hate the skin you're in. To feel bound by non-existent rules and ideals. It's time to love yourself, be kind to yourself and to shine from the inside out. Be your own superhero. Make your rules. BE YOURSELF. There's no-one else like you on this planet we call home and that in itself is a truly awesome thing.
As with everything in life; it takes time, patience and practice. I still looked at these pictures with a whisper of 'why are my thighs so big?' and 'my arms look chubby' - but that body can do good things and if I stopped criticising it, perhaps it could do even better.
So, here are some of my tips for self-love & kindness :
- be your own best friend : how many times have you run to a friend in need and given them advice? how many times have you done the same for yourself? you're worthy of your own care. eat feel-good food, listen to your favourite song, run a bath, watch your favourite episode of OITNB. laugh. repeat.
- keep moving forward : every morning is a new day, a fresh start and it's never too late to start making positive changes. you're not your past, you're the actions and thoughts of right now. make them count.
- acknowledge your feelings : if you're feeling sad, angry, disappointed; understand why. let it out. write it down. throw it away. know that it will not last forever. accept and appreciate what you're feeling, no one is happy all of the time and that's okay too.
- invest in yourself : allow yourself an hour or so of every day to do something you love. be it blogging, creating, exercising, cooking. you owe it to yourself to feel happy & you're in complete control of that.
- smile : the power of a smile is wonderful thing. try it :)
"It doesn't matter who you used to be; what matters is who you decide to be today. You are not your mistakes. You are not your mishaps. You are not your past. You are not your wounds. You can decide differently today and at every moment. Remember that. You are offered a new opportunity with each breath to think, decide, choose and act differently - in a way that supports you in a way that supports you in being all that you are capable of being. You are not less than. You are enough." - Brittany Josephina
I hope this is of some benefit to anyone feeling unworthy. It's not an egotistical thing to accept who & where you are right now and I think everyone should feel special within their own skin. I'd love to know what you think.
What are your tips for self-love & kindness?
What makes you feel good?